Monday, March 26, 2012

Sybil by Daniel Petrie


                Sybil depicted a different identity disorder (DID) patient’s experience with her psychiatrist. It was based on Shirley Ardell Mason’s true story. This movie was quite interesting to me as I am very interested on DID ever since my abnormal psychology class. According to my lecturer, DID is a very rare disorder. It remain controversial in the field of psychology as many expert speculated that DID does not exist at all.  Hence I am glad that this movie actually provide me with a better view and understanding of DID.
                However, I find the movie to be a little confusing at times. There are 12 alters exist in Sybil excluding Sybil herself and the switch between each alters is too rapid. I had a hard time adjusting myself to each alters. I even dig out my phone to search for the synopsis of this movie hoping that it will give me some clue on the total number of alters. The interaction between little Sybil and her mother was quite distressing for me. Especially the last scene in the kitchen when the mother sexually abuses little Sybil and ties her on the piano. I was very shock because I never expected those things to happen, from a mother. It is then clear to me on why Sybil would have the characteristic of DID and the existence of Peggy.
                This movie again, reminded me on the role parents’ play in their children’s development. One might not be aware on what he/ she is doing but it could create a huge impact on the rest of other’s life. Bad experience with parents can lead to the development of various psychological diseases. It may take a while for one to mistreat a child but forever for the child to recover from the trauma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment