Monday, March 5, 2012

The Sixth Sense by M. Night Shyamalan, The Castle by Rob Sitch

VS

Last week’s film class is slightly different from the usual. Two movies were shown to us and there are VERY different from each other. One is a comedy (The Castle) whereas the other is a, horror movie (The Sixth Sense) per say. As a horror movie lover, I enjoy the moment when I hold my breath feeling nervous and feel my intense heartbeat when something is going to be revealed. The Sixth Sense is slightly different from the horror movie that I watched previously. It was quite bland for me as I was anticipating some horrible ghost scene that was shown in most of the horror movie in Thailand, Japan and Hong Kong. I was ready to be scared. However, besides than some scary scenes that were shown in the beginning and the middle of the movie, everything resembles a psychological movie to me. That said, I appreciated the twist in the story. It was indeed shocked and sad to found out that the Psychologist that the boy was seeing is dead. Everything in the movie blends in perfectly with the new fact that was introduced except for one scene I am confused about. The scene where Dr. Malcolm is talking to Cole in his office, Dr. Malcolm’s secretary called him and asked him to answer a phone call. If Dr. Malcolm is dead, no one is supposed to be able to see and talk to him besides than Cole. Hence I find this to be one of the loopholes to the story or there are other details that I have miss out that could explain this confusion.
The Castle is a very simple movie; it focuses on Darryl’s family and their attempted to protect their home. Unlike other comedy, The Castle did not add in hilarious act to make their audiences laugh, what make my day is Darryl family member’s optimism and their lame jokes/speeches. I enjoyed watching this movie despite some of the times I were speechless about the character’s action and speech. I like how the Kerrigan family communicates to each other, simple yet warm. Even though they might seems to be too innocent and naïf in handling the court case I am surprised by their determinant. Their courage reminds me of how I behave in the normal life. I am totally different from Darryl’s father. I tend to give up things too easily without even trying because I am afraid of the failure that I might face. Hence, besides than entertaining, this movie inspires me to put some thought on my worries. Is there a necessity to worry too much on things that is yet to happen? Instead of hiding away from the problem, why not approaches it in a positive way? Darryl’s father will not be able to keep his house if he just sit and hope things will turn out the way he wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment