Monday, April 9, 2012

Gandhi by Richard Attenborough


                Personally, I am not a history person. When I learn that we will be watching this movie I was thinking this will be another boring show that might doze me off. However I was wrong. I actually like this movie despite there are moments that I feel like fast forward it. It depicted the life of Gandhi and his principal in aiding India to independent. Personally I appreciate Gandhi’s effort in running a non-violent campaign in both South Africa and India. People usually believed that those who are powerful will be able to control the others’. However, this is not necessary true. At least I don’t think it is. Taking revenge or beating people up might make them listen and obey you for a moment but it won’t last forever because violent is a form of impulsive behaviors. Hence, I think it is more important for one to calm them down and let people know they mean what they want.
                Besides, this movie reminds me of the psychological concepts I learnt in my social psychology and occupational psychology class. Before India obtain her independence, Muslims and Indians work together to protest and stand up to the British. However, once the decision of independence was made, the two ethnic groups form their own group and an in-group bias is observed.  The two ethnic groups started to bully people from their out-group and engaged in numerous violent acts. This irony does not happen only in the society but among the political leaders as well. Before the independence, all leaders can chat peacefully with each other. However, once the idea of independence is confirm, Jinnah the Muslim leader stand out to Gandhi and ask him regarding the division. I think it is very important for the leaders to sort the matter out themselves before they speak to the people. In this incident, Jinnah should sooth the Muslims down while he negotiates with the Gandhi and the other leader. Being as a political leader, one should always prioritize the welfare of his people be it Muslims or Indians as they are all part of India.


No comments:

Post a Comment